Our project provides the technology platform to identify sources of atmospheric pollution and predict its transport and dispersion over a geographical region. Atmospheric information is collected by a device network. Data is then stored and processed on the cloud. Actionable information is provided to users through an easy to use data-driven app platform. The platform empowers people to take preventive measures, make informed decisions, demarcate responsibility and drive change.
The current products/projects landscape is full of “solutions” that alert users of the air pollution in their vicinity. People may use pollution masks and change their transit routes, but this is not sustainable since it doesn’t prevent more pollution generation and people eventually prioritize immediate benefits. Our approach differs in that we help people with the right data to contain the immediate threat and also empower them to demarcate responsibilities to shape regulations and gain control over the atmospheric pollution problem.
Pulcrair is composed of 3 main components.
- An outdoor electronic appliance that acquires atmospheric pollution and weather conditions. This device transmits the data to our centralized data storage and processing infrastructure in the cloud.
- A centralized data storage processing layer in the cloud stores the atmospheric data. This data is processed to produce actionable real-time atmospheric information as well as pollution transit and dispersion predictions that is made accessible to the electronic domestic appliance owners through a data-driven app.
- A series of data-driven applications tailored to different customer classes. We envision 3 classes of apps for different types of users:
- Preventive alarms. With access to the air data in time and space for every part of your commuting and house/workplaces, the app will alarm you to use your mask or provide safe alternative routes.
- Smart real state. When investing in real state people often focus on facilities around the location, value, etc. however, air pollution is often overlooked. Yes, there might not be factories around but who would know the windy season will bring all the dust and smog from afar. With all year historical and predictive data now you can take informed safe decisions.
- Responsibility demarcations: Were/Are you affected by air pollution but nobody takes responsibility? No more! With historical/current data now is possible to identify origin and duration and exposure ratio. This data will empower people to demarcate responsibility and demand change.
- BUSINESS AND ORGANIZATIONS can use our dedicated API and access the geographical air and weather data to provide services such as:
- Adding environment aware functions to their smart devices. For example, a smart air purifier could use our API and automatically turn on to clean the air.
- Context-aware marketing. Pollution masks and related products is a growing industry. Inform your potential customers when they need your product the most.
- GOVERNMENT AND ACADEMIA can have a better understanding of phenomena and develop better solutions and laws.
Outdoor electronic appliance prototype uses de following components:
An Arduino Pro mini 3V for sensor driving and orchestration. Sensors connected to the Arduino are: PMS7003 (1) connected using software serial is a dust-proof high precision suspended particle (0.3 um to 10 um) concentration sensor. BME680 (2): volatile organic compounds (VOC), temperature, pressure, and humidity sensor. Connected through I2C. A Si1132 (3) UV and ambient light sensor connected through I2C Interface. Wind metrics and direction are measured through our own made anemometer using an optical quadrature encoder and 3D printed model. Connected through digital inputs of Arduino. Communications are handled by a LoRa Radio Murata CMWX1ZZABZ-078: with range